Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Simplicity in the City

Simple things in ones life especially my own recently have caused my life to do a complete 360 in about a week. I have done so much to get where I am today that I could never imagine living my life simple again  after a blood clot. This blood clot has a new meaning for me and that is "living my life Simple again." Here is my short story to try and help others.

Do you know or are you aware of what a DVT is? A few short months ago I would have said what? huh? what are you talking about? I had no clue. Now I wished I was more educated in that department and now I am more educated in everything that has to do with my body.

For several weeks my right leg was throbbing, I thought it was a sprained hamstring or something to that nature. Of course I always self diagnose myself on the Internet so of course that is what it should have been. I waited until to go to my Dr. after the weekend. I should have went to the Emergency Room. I was in so much pain, I could not breath, walk, talk, cry, do anything except sit and lay down in agonizing pain. We did not know what was going on and I thought it was just a strain of some kind.


Deep Vein Thrombosis: Signs and Symptoms

Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) occurs when a blood clot forms in one of the deep veins of your body, usually in your legs.
  • Swelling, usually in one leg
  • Leg pain or tenderness
  • Reddish or bluish skin discoloration
  • Leg warm to touch
These symptoms of a blood clot may feel similar to a pulled muscle or a “Charlie horse,” but may differ in that the leg may be swollen, slightly discolored, and warm. Contact your doctor if you have these symptoms, because you may need treatment right away.

I didn't have all of these symptoms. So we were not even sure that it was a clot. But as soon as I went to my Dr. she immediately sent me to imaging and I went from imaging to the ER. Of course they do a full work up with blood tests etc. I didn't care I just wanted this pain to go away.
Since I am allergic to most pain killers and they don't really want you to use any kind of Ibuprofen when you have a clot. They had to relieve my pain with a high dose of it anyhow this one time. I was feeling much better in about an hour. But it wasn't over just yet.

I was put on Warfarin a.k.a. Rat Poison but because of the medications I take for other things it was causing my INR's to go bonkers. INR stands for International Normalized Ratio. Monitoring of the INR is essential because too high an INR puts an individual at risk for bleeding and too low an INR at risk for clotting. There are four different ways to get your INR tested and warfarin adjusted: I would go into my clinic every week and have my blood drawn. After several failed attempts at the pill. I decided to take the Lovenox Shots once a day for the rest of my life if needed.

Most Doctors and staff will ask you if you have been on a plane trip anywhere that you sat for a long period of time! In my case, no but I do sit at this computer for at least 10 hours a day. Even though I do get up and move about I still got the blood clot. So if you are reading this today or just skimming throughout it. Please for me stop what you are doing and wiggle those toes, walk for 13 minutes, stretch and get educated about Stopping the Clot.

I would cry every time I had to give myself that "shot" but after doing this for a month  and then two I realized it could cost me my life if I didn't. Thank goodness for insurance because a 3 month supply of them costs over $2,000. Which is quite a shame. What happens to all those who aren't covered? We hope that there are people out there who can help. Check the bottom of my blog for prescription assistance. Unfortunately this is only available to the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome and thank you for taking time to read what I have to say, think or show you. Please feel free to leave a comment if it is clean and not a harm to others.